Friday, November 23, 2018

The Bullshit Web, because pathological capitalism ruins everything

It’s almost as if I picked the title... This is a great article about how the internet is mostly a bunch of wasted bandwidth, because: marketing.
[...]At the time, a few of my friends were getting cable internet. It was remarkable seeing the same pages load in just a few seconds, and I remember thinking about the kinds of the possibilities that would open up as the web kept getting faster.  And faster it got, of course. When I moved into my own apartment several years ago, I got to pick my plan and chose a massive fifty megabit per second broadband connection, which I have since upgraded.  So, with an internet connection faster than I could have thought possible in the late 1990s, what’s the score now? A story at the Hill took over nine seconds to load; at Politico, seventeen seconds; at CNN, over thirty seconds. This is the bullshit web.
Read here: The Bullshit Web

No comments:

Post a Comment